Trash hauling and recycling services for residential and commercial properties are provided by private firms operating under contract. Visit the company web site for your service area for details about services, recycling and routes.

The area east of I-15 is served by:

Waste Management of the Inland Empire
Phone: 800-423-9986

The area west of I-15 is served by:

Phone: 800-755-8112

Organic Waste Recycling

Starting April 2016, the State’s Mandatory Organic Waste Recycling law (AB 1826) will require businesses that generate 8 cubic yards of organic waste (food or green waste) to arrange for organic waste recycling services. Effective January 2017, this requirement will extend to businesses that generate 4 cubic yards of organic waste. Please see schedule below:

Year Cubic Yards Generated Weekly
2016 8 (organic waste)
2017 4 (organic waste)
2019 4 (commercial solid waste, regardless of amount of organic waste)
2020 2 (commercial solid waste, if state does not meet goal)

For more information about organics recycling visit

Commercial Recycling

Beginning July 1, 2012, Assembly Bill 341 [AB341] requires all businesses in California that generate 4 or more cubic yards of waste per week to recycle. In an effort to assist you with this law, our contracted haulers (CR&R Environmental Services and Waste Management), offers a wide variety of recycling services. Please give your waste hauler a call for further information.

Information about California’s business recycling requirement is also available from the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle)

Household Hazardous Waste Disposal

County of Riverside Regional Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program Information.

These common household items are considered hazardous waste and may not be sent to landfills. That means they should not be thrown into your household trash.

  • Common batteries (AA, AAA, C & D cell and button batteries)
  • Electronic devices (televisions, computer monitors and printers, VCRs, cell phones, regular telephones, radios, microwave ovens)
  • Fluorescent bulbs, tubes & other mercury-containing lamps (hi intensity discharge, metal halide, sodium and neon bulbs).
  • Mercury-containing devices (thermostats, switches, thermometers, dental amalgam, pressure and vacuum gauges, medical dilators, counterweights)
  • Non-empty aerosol cans containing hazardous materials (those labeled toxic, flammable or corrosive)

So how does one dispose of them?

The county’s Waste Management Department offers free residential household waste collections in the area periodically that takes in an array of materials.

It also operates an ABOP center in Murrieta for used anti-freeze, batteries, motor oil and latex paint. It’s open on non-holiday Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and is located at 25315 Jefferson Avenue, just north of Murrieta Hot Springs Road.

For more information and schedules for collections, call the department at 800-304-2226 or check out their web site at